xcdroast fails with permissions and buffer-underrun

Always used xcdroast successfully on RedHat.
Now, after I moved to Debian (Testing), all CDRs fail to write at one
point or another.

Details:

1.setting non-root mode and run as non-root user:
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 J<F6>rg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'TEAC    '
Identifikation : 'CD-W224E        '
Revision       : 'L.0E'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R
Drive buf size : 1493520 = 1458 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
cdrecord.mmap: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord.mmap: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord.mmap: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord.mmap: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 03 DB 28 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 01 0C 09 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x09 (write error - loss of streaming) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.028s timeout 200s
cdrecord.mmap: The current problem looks like a buffer underrun.
cdrecord.mmap: Try to use 'driveropts=burnfree'.
cdrecord.mmap: Make sure that you are root, enable DMA and check your HW/OS set
up.

2. "Permission Error" - so I ran as root. Also fails:
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
pregap1: -1
Track 01: data   699 MB         padsize:   30 KB
[no permission problems here !!]
Starting new track at sector: 0
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x09 (write error - loss of streaming) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.077s timeout 200s
cdrecord.mmap: The current problem looks like a buffer underrun.
cdrecord.mmap: Try to use 'driveropts=burnfree'.
cdrecord.mmap: Make sure that you are root, enable DMA and check your HW/OS set
up.

Where would I enable that burnfree ?
Why does it suggest to use root (I am), DMA (I do), what else should I
check as hardware/OS setup ?

The output of cdrecord -scanbus is the one as in the example above, btw.

Any hint is appreciated !