Re: What to backup?

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 11:39, Michael Kahle wrote:
> I just recently inherited a DLT1 tape drive from a friend!  :)  I ordered 4
> DLT tapes and a cleaning tape.  I have downloaded and installed Arkeia to
> use as my backup software.  My question for all is what should I backup?  Or
> perhaps more importantly what shouldn't I bother backing up?  I have a ton
> of data on this machine, but a small percentage of it changes frequently.
>
> What I would like is advice on what things could I skip backing up?  I want
> to do a rotation like the following:
> Week1: Full backup first day, incremental the rest of the days.
> Week2: Full backup first day, incremental the rest of the days.
> [...]
>
> I know that /proc is not necessary to back up, but what else?  I want to use
> as little tape as possible (these tapes are expensive) and backup only what
> is necessary to restore the machine to the state it was in before the crash.
> I also want the data on the tape in case I delete something accidentally.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Michael

Backup data, obviously, including all of /home, all of /lib, /boot,
/etc, but if your bandwidth is good enough, install your software from
current packages rather than tying up tape - meaning that you should
archive an up-to-date dpkg --get-selections with the rest being saved.
Do remember /opt and /usr/local, however, most of /usr can likely be
skipped. /bin and /sbin are dependent on how you anticipate recovering
the system when you need to restore - if you have a boot floppy/cd
system to bootstrap the tape restoration, then you may not need to
worry, but for situations where the system has crashed to unbootability
(look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls!) I suspect that a base install
from either cd or lan would restore that code before moving on to the
rest of your system from tape, then to be upgraded with a dpkg --set
selections.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org