Re: Widespread damage? [Was: Re: nano breaks my dpkg]

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 12:11:00PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 02:48:42PM -0400, Soren Andersen wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 10:02:26AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > This is already vying for the title of the bug with most duplicate
> > > reports, so please no. :)
> >
> > So I see. Yet this has so many different manifestations, apparently.
>
> If you don't see link errors, or if you don't have precisely libstdc++5
> version 1:3.3-0pre6 installed, it's very likely a different bug. It
> should be fairly clear when update-menus blows up on installation of
> many packages, though.

OK. I think you must be correct.

> > Tracking it down based on the ps I did each time this happened (oh, yes,
> > it was "repeatable") it looked to have connections to /usr/bin/editor
> > (IIRC) which was a symlink to something in /etc/opt/ (gosh, I never even
> > looked in there before).

> Sure it wasn't /etc/alternatives/editor? You should restore that symlink
> and use 'update-alternatives' to move it around.

Sorry, yes, I am sure you have this one right too. I'll implement your
advice, I didn't know about the "update-alternatives" tool.

> > What is bizarre is that "aptconf" ("apt-conf"?)
>
> debconf, I'd have thought.

So do I, today ;-).

> > had always given me the nice curses-based dialog I original requested
> > for doing package configurations. Now suddenly apt/dpkg weren't doing
> > that but falling back (MUCH lower) onto the "editor" -style
> > configuration (one step above "non-interactive"). I don't know why --
> > *I* didn't do it! ;-) -- and I don't know how to fix it.
>
> Does it display a message saying why it's falling back?

No, no explanation at all.

Thanks, Colin.

    Soren A

--
GnuPG public key fingerprint:  BD26 A5D8 D781 C96B 9936  310F 0573 A3D9 4E24 4EA6