Re: Borked mouse

on Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:28 PM -0500, Cory Snavely (csnavely@umich.edu) wrote:
> My woody workstation's (2.4.17 kernel) mouse is acting a little funky like
> that--typically brought on by heavy CPU load (from casual observation).
>
> /etc/init.d/gpm stop
> /etc/init.d/gpm start
>
> will always resolve it, but I'm hoping I'll see a new gpm deb come over
> pretty soon--hearing other people's experiences makes me suspect something
> there.

I'm also having mouse problems on a new testing/woody install.

Mouse is a Microsoft Intellimouse/PS2.
XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System.

XF86Config-4 Mouse configuration is:

    Section "InputDevice"
	    Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
	    Driver          "mouse"
	    Option          "CorePointer"
	    Option          "Device"                "/dev/mouse"
	    Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
	    Option          "Buttons"               "3"
    EndSection

I'd earlier removed GPM as I thought it might be the cause of the
problem, but it's not.

What happens is that the pointer will freeze while in use.  Switching to
a text console will undo the damage, e.g.:

     $ chvt 1; chvt 7

...or the maual equivalent (<ctrl><alt><F1> <alt><F7>).

...no idea what the problem is.  Cursory look through logs
(/var/log/XServer.<display> and ~/.xsession-errors) doesn't suggest
anything.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org