Re: The right way to power off a computer as non-root

On Thursday 03 January 2002 12:23, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> Thomas Deselaers wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I use my computer as a workstation and thus I think it would be a
> > good idea to be able to switch it of as user without being root.
> >I had two ideas of making this possible. The one is to make it
> > sudo-able and the other is to put the executable into a special
> > group (e.g. poweroffer) and then make the binaries suid-root
> > executable for this group and put the users which ought to be
> > allowed to poweroff the workstation into this group.
> >
> >Of course this would be possible with gdm, but due to some other
> > problems with gdm I reported a time ago which I still have not
> > fixed I don't want to use gdm.
[...]
> The laziest way is to CTRL-ALT-DEL and hit the power button after
> all's done.

I shut down my computer using CTRL-ALT-DEL.

>From my /etc/inittab:
# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
#ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now

Change the -r(eboot) to a -h(alt)

--
Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."