Re: Matrox Millenium IIs and XFree86 3.6 - UPDATE

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> 	I am attempting to get a Matrox Millenium II card (4MB, PCI) to
> work with XFree86 3.6 (as found in potato), but no matter the resolution
> or color depth I choose, the picture has very obtrustive vertical lines
> (to the point that one can barely read any text).

	First, let me thank everyone for their help, and the XF86Config
files you sent me. Unfortunately none of them work, but I figured out
why. After looking closer at the video card itself, I realized that a few
resistors have been sheared off! What I get for buying used computer
equipment w/o careful inspection. :(
	Though I had two of these cards and the second one appears
intact/undamaged, so I installed that one. Much better, no more obtrusive
vertical lines. Though, I still have vertical lines and their behavior now
is much more interesting. They are even spaced across the screen, one
pixel wide, but only appear where there is text on the screen (i.e. in a
shell window, netscape, any where text is displayed), while graphics (i.e.
wallpaper or picture in netscape) are completely clean and fine. Even
stranger, the lines only extend on a line of text as far the text does. It
is almost like they are showing the tab settings or something!
	I have tried all the XF86Config file sent to me again to no avail,
and messed with the HTotal value as well with out success. I doubt it is a
hardware problem this time as the lines are very software dependent
(i.e. hardware does not differentiate between graphics and text, it is just
pixels to it). So, does anyone have any more ideas? Thanks.

	PS. If someone wants a screen shot to better see what I am
describing, let me know and I will send it to you via private email.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |