Re: Sys Admin

Are you wanting to Learn UNIX or Linux, or both?

There's no easy way to pick up UNIX/Linux skills overnight, but
you might want to sign up for a beginning UNIX class with a local
college. I don't know about where you're at, but the local community
college where I'm at has two UNIX classes that are probably good
for beginners.

Setting up your own Linux box using Debian or Slackware is a good
start, and if you're looking for a well-rounded experience, try
some of the *BSDs. Linux and *BSD skills will translate well to
other UNIX-type OSes, but each has its own little quirks.

You might see about getting a job with an ISP or college as a junior
admin, that might be a good learning environment.

As far as books are concerned...

"Running Linux" Matt Welsh
"Linux: Installation, Configuration and Use" Michael Kofler

Are both great general Linux starter guides.

I'm not really aware of any good online classes, but if you run
across some, be sure to post them to the list.

Take care,

Zonker

--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier