Re: reiserfs annoyances

Hi,

I just started using reiserfs (not for my "important" partitions yet),
it seems that the check takes place without the "pass" entry in fstab,
though I'm not certain.

from dmesg:
reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 08:06) ...
Using r5 hash to sort names
reiserfs: using 3.5.x disk format
ReiserFS version 3.6.25
reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 08:22) ...
Using r5 hash to sort names
reiserfs: using 3.5.x disk format
ReiserFS version 3.6.25
reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 08:07) ...
Using tea hash to sort names
reiserfs: using 3.5.x disk format
ReiserFS version 3.6.25

in fstab:
/dev/sda6 /tmp reiserfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /Audio reiserfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda7 /windows reiserfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb2 /scratch reiserfs defaults,user,noauto 0 0

I also hacked a non-interactive reiserfsck in /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh,
it's ugly but works:

<snip>
#KLUDGE by jon@ai DON'T DISTRIBUTE, it's embarasing
    echo "Checking ReiserFS file systems..."
    REISERS=`grep reiserfs /etc/fstab|/bin/awk '{print $1}'`
    echo yes > /tmp/reiser-checkp
    for i in $REISERS;
        do reiserfsck $i < /tmp/reiser-checkp;
        done;
    rm /tmp/reiser-checkp
# Back to your regularly scripted init file

    echo "Checking all file systems..."
</snip>

Note I don't take my own advisory against redistributing, so I suppose
you needn't either now that it's publicly achived all over the net.

Looking at the dmesg output (which comes before this check), I think
this is probably unnecessary.  No luck verifying this in the docs,
suppose it's time to look at the source code...

-Jon