Re: Helix Gnome vs Debian Gnome -- worth the upgrade?

Kent West wrote:

> Nathan E Norman wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 01:15:34PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > > I tried to install HelixGNOME via the instructions for Debian on
> > > the helixcore website (lynx -source blah blah blah), and chose
> > > option 3 (full install), and it looked like everything was going
> > > fine, until I got a dependency error that libsound is apparently
> > > not available. I haven't been able to find this package anywhere
> > > .deb form, so I've just put HelixGNOME on the back burner for
> > > now.
> >
> > Erm, Helix supplies debs.  They work, too.
> >
> > # Helix GNOME
> > deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main
> > deb-src http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main
> >
> > --
> > Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
> > GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/
> > Key fingerprint = C5F4 A147 416C E0BF AB73  8BEF F0C8 255C 51F9 8BB7
> >
> >   -----------------------------------------------------------------
> >    Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature
>
> My bad. Although I had the first line in my sources.list file,
> when I did the install gdm was installed, only it came up broken
> (explanation below). So I tried to use kdm to see what effect it
> had and it was broken, so I did an "apt-get install kdm", which
> then complained about the missing libsound package.
>
> So like the idiot that I am, I added my "problem with Helix" to
> this discussion, not thinking straight enough to realize that my
> problem was with KDE, not Helix.
>
> I reckon I need to get one of them "Stupid" signs to display.
>
> So here's my real problem with Helix: when I run gdm, it brings
> up a gnome login screen that if I accept the default X session of
> Gnome, dumps me into a screen with a Gnome-ish file-browser-type
> window that is partially off the screen and with a Gnome Tips
> window. I can close the tips window, but I can't access the title
> bar of the file-browser to move it or close it, etc. There is not
> Gnome taskbar (with the "foot" and other icons), and clicking on
> bare desktop background doesn't bring up any pop-up menus, no
> matter which button I use. So it appears that the install is
> broken on my machine.
>
> If anyone knows the solution, great; if not, no biggie; like I
> said, I've just put HelixGNOME on the back burner for now.

Sounds like there's no window manager running.  If I use the Gradient
theme for Sawmill, the Sawmill window manager eventually crashes out and
leaves all my windows in this state.  I can close them via the File
menu, if present.  What I do, apart from not using the Gradient theme,
is to select another window manager via the Gnome Control Centre, try
it, and revert back to Sawmill to restart it.  Mind you, I run a Gnome
session, so I still have the Gnome Panel when Sawmill crashes.

LeeE
--

http://www.spatial.freeserve.co.uk

...or something