Need help w/ netatalk & papd

I have some Mac (the horror) users that are printing to papd through
Appletalk and everything works great ... except one thing ...

The print jobs stay in the queue and I have to do a "lpc start all" to get
them to come out.

When reading the papd documentation, it states:

"papd spools jobs directly into an lpd(8)  spool  directory  and wakes  up
lpd  after  accepting a job from the network to have it re-examine the
appropriate spool directory.   The actual printing and spooling is handled
entirely by lpd."

Could the problem be that papd is not properly "waking up" lpd after the
job is spooled?

I am running this on a i386 Debian/GNU Linux potato box.

Has anyone successfully done this before?

Jon
jmarler@istrength.net