Re: Why use Enlightenment?

Another opinion, worth what you're paying for it:

I actually switched from E to sawmill and then back to E.  Why?  Part of
it was the eye candy, I really like the real-time ripples on the bottom
of the screen using just 2% of cpu (Celeron 333), translucent drag is
dead cool, tooltips are classic, and there's something satisfying about
hearing a window explode when I close it.

But there's also the pager (mentioned elsewhere), which doesn't use a
noticeable amount of cpu even on my PPC 603e 160 at home (I think it's
around 2%, wish there were an option to continuously scan all
desktops!), and window shading.  Most useful of all are the window size
and movement features, such as window overlap edge resistance,
resistance to moving a window off the edge of the screen, intelligent
window placement, and desktop cleanup (where all the windows slide
around going "wheee-boioioioing" simultaneously until they're neatly
aligned).  I have yet to see any of these features in any other WM.

Call me what you like, but having used these things for a few months
since E 0.15 came out, it's very psychologically frustrating to do
without them.  "NO, you STUPID WINDOW, I DON'T want to have to move my
mouse a pixel at a time JUST to put you exactly next to the other one!"

For those who haven't tried it, I recommend giving it a go.  You just
might become addicted too, to the eye candy and to some truly useful and
unique features.

Zeen,

-Adam P.