Re: gnome session-panel & X problems

On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 05:59:29PM -0700, Brendon Baumgartner wrote:
> I installed gnome and e. The session panel doesn't seem to load up. All i
> can do is right click and middle click.
>
> Also, another problem i'm having with X:
> 	When I Log out, the window manager closes, (the borders and such
> disapear) but the system doesn't return to gdm. It sits in X till i press
> ctrl-alt-bkspc. Anyone know why this might be? I can't figure it out.

Firstly, are you starting Gnome with something like 'exec gnome-session' as the last thing in your .xsession (or .xinitrc if you're starting X by hand)?

If so, then when you 'log out', Enlightenment is quitting, but not Gnome, so your X session is still alive (just without a window manager). This probably means that something is pretty wrong with Gnome, and it's not being told that E wants your X session to end (since gnome-session is in control, not E).

If you have a .gnome directory in your home dir, remove or rename that and try again. It may be you have some stale configs messing things up. Otherwise, something is probably pretty wrong with your Gnome install...

--
Matthew Gregan                                  kinetik@ihug.co.nz