Re: how do I kill samba?

Paul Miller wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Adam Shand wrote:
>

> > > how do I kill samba when it is loaded from inetd? .. smbd doesn't even
> > > appear on ps -aux unless a service is being used.
> >
> > If there are no processes running then samba isn't running.  If you would
> > like to stop it from running on demand then you need to comment the line
> > containing smbd and nmbd from /etc/inetd.conf and restart (or send a SIG
> > HUP) to inetd.
> >
> > Adam.
>
> .... ok, so if I comment out the smbd and nmbd lines in inetd.conf, how do I
> stop using port 139? - If I run smbd it says that port 139 is already in
> use.

port 139 is the netbios session port (the one which is used for file/print service,
*not* the one used for netbios name service). You must comment out the line
in /etc/inetd.conf which starts smbd. inetd is listening on this port. Back
to your original question of how you could kill samba, I'm wondering what your
real intent is. Is your contention that "no file/print service is being used,
so why is this smbd process around?" The answer there is: win95 likes to keep
connections around. Is your contention "hey, I don't want to be offering samba
shares to the internet!" You can use the "interfaces" option to smbd.conf to
change what IP interface smbd will listen on. Then you just have to worry about
IP spoofing. If you just want to get rid of samba, look for all the lines in
/etc/inetd.conf which start with "netbios-" and comment/remove them. Then type
'killall -HUP inetd'. No need to reboot.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com