Re: Sound support in kernel-image-2.0.30

Hello Tom!

You don't have any sound drivers installed by default, although all the
device drivers are there. E.g. you have scsi devices even if you don't
posess a scsi drive. Look at:

/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.cards

for a list of supported sound cards. You get this file if you install the
kernel sources.
If you have a SB AWE, you can install the AWE patches (some debian
packages) for midi support.
You can also buy the commercial version of OSS sound driver.

Obviously, you need to recompile the kernel.
Try the kernel package for that, it is a lot easier than the canonical way.

If you have any more questions, write to the list.

PS: Try the Sound-HOWTO for more information.

Marcus

On Sat, Oct 04, 1997 at 12:21:08PM -0400, Tom Ed White wrote:
> How can I find out which sound cards, if any, are supported in this
> kernel image? I want to know if I need to recompile my kernel for
> sound. I suspect that many of the drivers are already there, since
> the device file is present.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Ed White
>

> --