Re: D-Link 220 card detection problems??

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Brian Freeze wrote:

> I am trying to install the latest debian release onto a system that had
> slackware running on it. It has a dlink 220 ethernet card in it and was
> running fine with the slackware system and also with win95. I have tried
> every module that was installed with the base system and nothing will work.
>
> Is there another module I could download for this card? In the Ethenet
> How-To it said to use the ne2000 driver but the module doesn't work.
>
> Any help would really be apreciated.

Hi Brian,

A more descriptive report of your situation would help helping a little.

For instance, what does the kernel print on bootup? Does it see your card
at all or as something else than a ne2000 or even a network card?

What do /etc/modules and /etc/conf.modules look like? Does the latter one
include lines
	alias eth0 ne
	options ne irq=10 io=0xe400
like mine? I also commmented out all the lines in /etc/modules and added
	auto
to enable the kernel daemon, which loads any necessary module when needed.

You have to fill in the irq and io values for _your_ card, of course. If
the card works in win95, you can peek in the system panel for the
apropriate values.

You can configure these settings in debian during the modules
configuration stage of installation (if I remember correctly.) Just add
the irq= and io= statements as parameters when you select the ne2000 module.

Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/conf.modules file by hand after the
base installation. For the kernel daemon I think you have to edit
/etc/modules in any case - if I am correct.

You can even pass some options to the kernel at boot time (at the lilo
prompt, that is.) Don't know the details on that, never had to use it.

If all of this doesn't help you, there's one more option:
visit the Donald Becker site, address is in the Ethernet-HOWTO. You can
find some links to patches for unusual cards here. I had to use a patch to
get my sort-of-broken pci ne2000 to get recognised as such by the kernel.
After I rebuilt the kernel, it recognised my card and the card worked
fine with linux. Cards that need patches to be applied to the
kernel source are exceptions, but you might just have such an exception.

Hope this helps you to get going,

Joost