static vs. dynamic - gimp

     Hello all.

     I would like to install gimp.

     Pardon my ignorance ...
     I see that there are two versions.

     gimp-dmotif (dynamic)
     vs.
     gimp-smotif (static)

     I am using a standard debian install with X, tcp/ip ...

     I would like to know :

        q1 - how do I know if I can use the static version?

        q2 - given a choice between both, what version would be "better or
             faster ...". Are there any pros and/or cons to choosing one or
             the other when both are valid options for a given machine
     (i.e..         speed vs. size ... )?

     Thanx in advance ...

     Keep up the good work - it is greatly appreciated.