Re: LILO and W95

>What I have done is similar to what Susan suggest in using LOADLIN, but I
>have setup a menuitem in config.sys to handle it.  The line I use in the
>config.sys file is:
>
>shell=c:\loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro
>
>This assumes my root file system is on hda6.  This way when I boot I have
>the option presented to me.  It is very much like LILO, but is all done
>through DOS/WIN95 utilities (when I started using linux, I was more
>comfortable doing it this way).

>Kenny Wickstrom           | gnu - a new generation in s/w devel/support
>kenny@kennet.com          | Linux - a much improved Un*x clone
>(847)740-4008             | Debian - a Linux distribution setting the
>#include <std-disclaimer> |    standard for future distributions

In my case, I started out (several years back) using LILO to dual-boot
DOS or Linux.  But, I actually have found now that the Loadlin option
not only is more convenient for Win-95, but actually makes more sense
on a PC.  The only problem is that Loadlin has some memory
limitations.  But, if you use the Menu-config.sys thing with DOS, then
booting bare with the Loadlin option works great.

| James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.  | Phone:  (423)576-8645  |   | L |
| Oak Ridge National Laboratory   | FAX:    (423)574-9172  | H | I |
| Research Reactors Division      | Internet: fea@ornl.gov | F | N |
| P. O. Box 2008                  | Reactor Technology     | I | U |
| Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392 | world's best neutrons! | R | X |
| out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the      |
| leased line, off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net |