50% Performance lose

I have recently upgraded to Debian 1.1 from 0.93R6 and have noticed a big
performance drop when using the f2c program to run FORTRAN programs.

Here are the numbers:

24 secs execution time when compiled and run under 0.93R6.
30 secs execution time when compiled under 0.93R6 and run under 1.1
36 secs execution time when compiled and run under 1.1

I'm not sure about version numbers but the shared library version number for
0.93R6 is 0.11, and for Debian 1.1 the version number is 2.1.

Obviously 0.93R6 is aout and 1.1 is elf but i don't know if this is relevant.

There is no performance loss with C programs.

Any suggestions welcome.