Re: Outgoing Modem Configuration

Dale Scheetz writes:

>>I started with minicom. first as root, then after having added the
>>required user to the 'dialout' group in /etc/groups as a user.
>
>This isn't clear to me. I assume you mean /etc/group, but it's not clear to
>me how you "add the required user" to this file.

...I assume he means add the user to the group i.e.

	dialout::20:uucp

becomes

	dialout::20:uucp,fred

...where fred is the user who needs to dial out.  This may or may not
be an issue on your system - if you're getting any kind of connection
whatsoever then I think you can just leave /etc/group as it is.  I
certainly never edited it when setting up PPP on mine.

>>See what `serserial -a /dev/cua*' says about your serial lines. How do they
>>get recognised at boot time?
>
>I have no serserial command on my machine? What is it? Where do I
find it?

setserial, not serserial.

If you're just dialling out, why do you need a getty on the line to
the modem?  Am I missing something here?

--
Richard Kettlewell                      http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/
Home+work: <richard@elmail.co.uk>