keysigning, debian packaging met git, hoe word je een debian contributor, mutt (was: Re: Your signed PGP key)

Hi Dmitry,

Cc-ing list since answers to questions about how to get started as a Debian
contributor, or working with PGP, might be interesting to others too.

Debian User Dutch-subscribers: excuses dat deze mail in het Engels is.  Dmitry
woont in Nederland maar schrijft makkelijker Engels dan Nederlands, geloof ik.
Ik ontmoette hem op de Debian Bug Squashing Party, onlangs in Tilburg.  Cc mij
en Dmitry op replies aub; ik ben niet ge-abonneerd op deze lijst.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 08:51:27PM +0100, Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
> On 16/12/2014 11:12, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
> > can i quote you on e.g. debian-events-nl, and answer there / publically?
>
> Sure. Please CC to me, as I might not be subscribed to that particular
> maillist.

> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 09:44:44AM +0100, Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
> >>
> >> It was a pleasure for me to meet you at BSP in Tilburg today.

Same!

<snip>
> >> Please find your key signed by me.

Thanks!  Will process it later, and sign your key later.  Please remind
me if I fail to do that within about 1 week.

> >> I tried to follow the document "Debian packaging using git"
> >> (http://mdcc.cx/dpg.txt) you have suggested, but I find it a bit
> >> difficult to understand completely what is going on in the examples you
> >> provide. I have found another manual
> >> (http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.html)
> >> which is more easy for me to start with right now. I will practise once
> >> I have some project on Git.

OK, nice.

> >> I have checked the debian-newmain maillist and I see that DM
> >> applications already refer the existing packages. That means I have to
> >> find a sponsor first to initiate a package, and then request for DM?

Yes, finding a DM is easier once you can show some work you've done for Debian.
BTW, you don't need a sponsor to do Debian-work: you can e.g. create a .deb and
publish that work on e.g. your own website.  You can also apply for an account
on alioth.debian.org, and start contributing to work there, using e.g. git.

> >> I have found Debian chemistry community
> >> (http://blends.debian.org/science/tasks/chemistry) -- I think this is
> >> right place to find further help and sponsor.

Yup, that's a good way to enter.

> >> P.S. Sorry, I might have send the previous email to you encrypted by my
> >> key... Strange how Thunderbird came to such an idea. What software do
> >> you use to sign/encrypt email messages?

mutt with GnuPG.  If you 'apt install mutt' on a Debian system, the
gnupg-integration works out of the box, iirc.

Take care, Bye,

Joost