Re: More install problems under Ultra10 and tftp...

On 24 Jun 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > What was more troubling to me, was to get to the step of "activating a
> > linux partition", when I discovered that the sda1 partition, that I
> > expected to use for the root file system, was already in use by the
> > installer. It has been mounted on /mnt and seems to contain the contents
> > of the tftpboot image, as best I can tell.
> >
> > Can I move this stuff somewhere else, as long as it ends up mounted on
> > /mnt? I'd really like to use sda1 ;-)
>
> Hmm?  The rescue system mounts root on /target I think.  Are you sure
> you're not confused?

No, I'm not confused. I have not gotten thru the part about activating a
Linux partition, so I have not declared a root partition yet. /dev/sda1
was mounted on /mnt by some process other than myself immediately after I
partitioned the disk.

It is far worse than this, however, and I have obviously done something
wrong. I tried to mke2fs on one of the other partitions and failed. Even
the installation program could not activate a partition.

However, I had some luck that was unexpected. Yesterday afternoon, I had a
power failure. When I booted up the install this morning it presented me
with sda1 as an option and has just finished creating the file system.
Whatever happened the first time seems to have resolved itself. This seems
to be my karma on "first time installations".

Thanks for the help,

Dwarf