Re: TeX Live 2022

On 4/11/22 04:19, Norbert Preining wrote:

Moin,

I'm not sure, why the make-orig oft texlive-bin needs an svn repository.

Because I did pull intermediate releases at times, not the original
sources. The reason was, when we are between two Debian releases, we
know that the *next* year's TL will go into the next Debian release, so
we can be a bit *less* cautious with texlive-bin and pull new stuff.

OK.

Also, sometimes the branchYYYY gets security/critical updates.

Understood.

The only purpose I see is to write the revision number into the name of
orig.tar.gz. Instead I decided to download the source from e.g. [1] and

No, it also *copies* the files from $svnroot! So that is more than
the revision number.

I'm aware that it not just determines the revision number, but copies
the data too. I wasn't just unsure if there is a difference between
copying the data from the released/uncompresses zip file or from the svn
tree.

determine the revision number from the web svn access [2]. The date
stamp is the date of the release not the current date:

Feel free to use whatever you want, I usually used the svn version and
the time stamp when I did build the orig.tar.

Let me know if this was done correctly. If yes, I'd put the orig.tar.gz
to our upstream branch and upload everything to experimental. Of course
the tl-nonbin would need an update too, which would run about the same time.

I think what you did is fine, and will work. And if there is no
intermediate update to .orig.tar, then there remains nothing to do I
guess.

If there is a need to do another release of tl-bin I'll think about
copying the data from the svn tree.

I'll start packaging probably next week.

Thanks,
  Hilmar
--
#206401 http://counter.li.org