Re: tetex-doc & backspace in xdvik

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 10:51 +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Also TeX live now only ships pdf, as they are more secure in the sense
> that if fonts are missing the viewing of the dvi is unpleasant.

Because of the necessity to autogenerate the fonts? Or do you mean the
situation where the fonts are not present on the system at all? The
latter case should not happen, if there is a TeX system installed.
that's where I see the difference between CTAN and local documentation.
On CTAN, you can't assume that that people wnating to read the docs have
the fonts installed. You can't even assume a working TeX system. IMO the
situation for, say, tetex-doc is differnet (even though it does not
depend on any tetex packages).

> Furthermore, is it a space saver compared to ps.

But not compared with DVI, especially if every PDF file contains its own
version of the CM fonts. Documentation is the field where I would
advocate using times + helvetica + courier without embedding fonts ...

cheerio
ralf