Re: Dropping the dependency on teTeX for Type 1 font packages

> It shouldn't hurt. Why: Even without *anything* cionfigured calls to
> mktexlsr and updmap-sys should work without any problem.

Maybe, but I'd like to be sure.

>                                                           In fact I
> already have thought about moving some of the basic scripts from
> tetex/texlive to tex-common (like the scripts mktexlsr, updmap(-sys)
> etc) as they are really the same and are really basic. But this was
> just an idea.

That would be good for the dependency problem, since I suppose
tex-common will remain small. Then font packages could simply depend on
it with no harm.

> Why? All the files are there in /etc/texmf (bacause they are installed
> by tex-common!), and update-texmf does nothing special.

Well, it can change things such as VARTEXFONTS, TEXMFSYSVAR... stuff
that could affect an updmap run, I fear---though only in non-standard
situations.

--
Florent