path separator of texmf.cnf

Hi all,

I found a bit confusing/inconsistent comments and/or notation
in the present texmf.cnf.

It says as follows;

% The text above assumes thet path separator is a colon (:).  Non-UNIX
% systems use different path separators, like the semicolon (;).

but it uses, for example,

TEXMFDBS = $TEXMF;$VARTEXFONTS
and
TEXINPUTS.tex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//

that is, it uses semicolon as path separator.

I guess that colon and/or semicolon both work fine
(is this true?) but this situation is a bit confusing
or inconsistent, IMHO.

I think if both colon and semicolon are effective
even for UNIX-like system then it should be stated
so in texmf.cnf and if semicolon is preferable by some
reason (portability?) then it should be stated so.

How do you think and which of colon and semicolon
should we use?

Thanks in advance,		2000.6.5

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>