Easy question for new user regarding sources.list

Hi all..  I just installed Debian from a TESTING net install image I downloaded, and just have 1 or 2 easy questions that I can hopefully get answered and save in my inbox so I never have to ask again :)

1st question:  I seem to be missing alot of packages that I can't get through aptitude.  From memory, I remember there is a key step in adding some additional lines to my /etc/apt/sources.list .  Also, I want to use current-version software if that is possible..  My /etc/apt/sources.list is as follows:

---

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-1 (20060114)]/ etch main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-1 (20060114)]/ etch main
deb http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/debian/ etch main
deb-src http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/debian/ etch main

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main

---

I thought I remembered having many more lines than that, but am sorry that I have forgotten what they are..  I tried googling around 'debian etch sources.list' and things like that, but nothing that I could find that explained the process :(   The reason I think I am missing key packages is because basic things like 'ncurses' or 'ncurses-devel' for me to even do a 'make menuconfig' for my kernel are missing and can't be obtained through aptitude :-(

And I suppose the second question is, this version I am using is ETCH, which is one version behind SID right?  Is SID too unstable for me to use?  I'd really like to try things like the new Gnome or the newest versions of KDE, and programs like gaim beta 2.0+ which require the newest versions of GTK and such..

Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm just a new user still trying to learn the ropes :(

Thanks in advance all, and any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

-Ryan