Re: Successful sarge installation but system lockup very soon (screen frozen, no keyboard)

Olivier Jacquemin wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion: setting option "NoAccel" in XF86Config allows
me to admire the screensavers (which blocked the system after at most 3
seconds previously) for as long as I want :-)

My pleasure. Sort of. Anyone got the stamina to look deeper into the problem?

Of course moving the windows is much slower without acceleration. However IMHO the "NoAccel" option should be set by default during
installation of X in sarge if the "nv" driver is chosen, until this
problem is fixed.  Otherwise keeping the current default configuration
brings a system that is not usable.

My 15yo son is quick to point out that a) not only will things be slower with "NoAccel", but b) by using the "free" nv_drv.o instead of using NVidia's nvidia_drv.o (downloaded from their site) you don't get GL support. That, in turn, can make some applications perform oddly if at all.

My counter to his second point is that their current driver (dated 11/5/2004) is also subject to this lockup _and_ there's no workaround that I've heard of yet, since the nvidia_drv.o driver doesn't support "NoAccel".

Stable is good. But since when is sarge stable? For stable, you go to woody, eh?

-Del