libesd0 vs libesd-alsa0

Hello

I have a 2.6.8 kernel with ALSA compiled into it, also the OSS
compatibility modules for ALSA.  Yesterday I discovered I have libesd0
installed wich is for OSS.  So I reconed I would change that to
libesd-alsa0 and hoped to get superior sound quality (I have to put my
pcm-volume at 3/4th on the mixer, if it's higher it gets blurry).

However the sound was horrible after a reboot (only after a reboot!).
It was blurry whatever my mixer settings.  So I changed back to
libesd0 and everything is again like before after a reboot.  Anyone an
idea how this is possible?  Or in fact have an idea why sound gets
blurry?

Cheers
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom