Initrd problems

Hi All,

I've had no joy with mkinitrd on the latest unstable system. I have a
promise sx4000 ATA raid controller that I've successfully compiled
drivers for against debian kernel source 2.4.22. I'm attempting to
create an initrd, so I can boot off the raid device. I've included the
necessary modules such as cramfs etc in the kernel, basically I copied
the config from the unstable kernel_image_2.4.22-1-686 deb file. The
driver works fine and /dev/sda1 has a working copy of the installation
files. I've installed mkinitrd and adjusted the scripts to include the
raid driver.  I've mounted the image and can verify the drivers
inclusion.  When I set boot=/dev/hda and root=/dev/sda1 I hit kernel
panic with the following entries...

VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem)
Freeing unused kernel memory: 112k freed
initrd-tools: 0.1.55
warning: can't open /etc/mtab: no such file or directory
modprobe: Can't locate module FastTrak.o

pivot_root: No such file or directory.
/sbin/init: 338: can not open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Basically the driver module is not loading and we can't mount the root
filesystem. The module FastTrak.o can't be found, but I've mounted the
rd image and can verify the inclusion. I've adjusted the modules file
within the /etc/mkinitrd folder, and added the module as
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/scsi/FastTrak.o and simply
FastTrak.o, the result is the same.  It looks close, but I'm unable to
get around the failure to locate the module.
I've scrounged through what little info I can find and have struck a bit
of an impasse.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to do this correctly?

Cheers,

Lewis Shobbrook