Re: Woody is bootable? (was: Sarge is bootalbe?)

No problem with the kernel afaik: I didn't build it though. After forcing the upgrade from potato and spending hours tweeking X, ALSA, and practically everything else which wasn't quite working, it seemed to go perfectly. Things went faster with the stock SMP kernel than the single processor one, and I guess there may be some advantage to building a custom one, but I didn't bother being so relieved at getting the potato->sid transition going at all. With make -j (not on the kernel, but on a reasonably sized project I work on from time to time) the machines really fly. Mind you, with 2GB RAM, you'd expect reasonable performance.

Next time I'll read the manual. Thanks for being patient, Rick and Mike, I deserve a good flame for that piece of stupidity!

The only time I've been seen the behaviour you describe w.r.t. strange slow-downs, Rick, it was to do with a bizarre series of coincidences to do with an automounted filesystem and conflicting IP addresses. Always had pretty close to pinned CPU utilization.

Nick/

Rick Kelley wrote:

Nick,

I had a similar install problem on my SMP Pentium 3 Xeon system with SCSI
disks.  I resolved the problem by booting from the "vanilla" CD.  Once the
system was booted, I installed from the "generic" CD.  I don't recall the
logic or steps that led to that solution but it worked.

On a different note, it took 18 hours to link the kernel once the system was
installed.  Response times were incredibly slow.  I installed atsar and
about 40% of the processor was being used with the system idle. Once the new
kernel was installed with SMP enabled, I could build a kernel in a couple of
minutes and idle processor usage dropped to nil.  I'm curious if you saw the
same phenomenon on your MP system.

Thanks
Rick