[bug?] i810 and /dev/agpgart

Hello
This is my first post to this list, I think it is the right place,
but please redirect me if it's not.

Today I installed a minimal system 2.2r5 from an official cdrom, and
then set /etc/apt/sources.list to track on the 'testing' distribution.
The source of the cdrom and testing packages was mirror.aarnet.edu.au.

I then tried to install X from 'testing':
  # apt-get install x-windows-system-core

I encountered a problem with configuring the package - the i810.o
module failed to load because the relevant device file /dev/agpgart
had not been created. I created it with
 # cd /etc; mknod agpgart c 10 175
and after that everything worked fine.

However it seems to me that the device file should have been there,
and/or debconf should have tested for it and explained the problem.
Is this a side-effect of my install procedure?
Is it reasonable to expect the device file should have been created
for me?

This is more of a usability issue than a real bug. But it does get
in the way of a new user trying things out.
It's unclear to me where the responsibility for this one lies;
kernel-xxx, xserver-xfree86, or debconf?

Vince