Re: start-stop-daemon.REAL ...

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:27:25AM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> A friend of mine did a woody install, after the install, no daemons
> would load. There was a /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL, as well as a
> normal one:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         8956 Oct 17 00:25 /sbin/start-stop-daemon
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        17332 Aug 21 23:51 /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL
>
> Moving the start-stop-daemon away, and copying the .REAL one into it's
> place fixed it all... so what is this .REAL file doing there? Any ideas?
> It doesn't belong to a package, it is not a diversion ... and it is
> quite a serious problem. As it wasn't me that installed it, I cannot say
> if there was anything funny about the install. (It doesn't sound like it
> though.)

Here I lie, further facts show that the install died badly during the
install of the base system. Many errors in setting up packages. So after
rebooting he salvaged what he could with dpkg-reconfigure --all, and
fixing what he thought of by hand. So I think this isn't something that
needs to be "debugged", as we now know what the problem was.

One question one might want to ask/answer though is how one can find out
what steps are carried out by boot-floppies and how one can do those by
hand. I guess that's not really an option though. It isn't as simple as
a little shell script that you run.

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe