Re: 'apt-get remove sendmail' uninstalls lilo

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 09:27:28PM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> After doing a little research the reason for this is the following
> dependancy chain.
>
> lilo -> logrotate -> mailx -> mail-transport-agent (provided by sendmail)
>
> Although in the small, each step of that dependancy chain seems to make some
> sense, I would consider the overall effect bad.  It doesn't seem like a
> bootloader should require active mail to run.

logrotate -> mailx is clearly the problem here. I'm not that familiar with
logrotate, but I've never used it to email logs anywhere and nor does the
default configuration to my knowledge (at least it's never emailed them to me,
if it's sending them somewhere else then I'm in for a nasty shock :).  It works
without mailx installed, i.e. should not depend on it.

--
Colin Phipps         PGP 0x689E463E     http://www.netcraft.com/