'apt-get remove sendmail' uninstalls lilo

In the process of trying to trim down an existing testing distribution, I
attempted to uninstall sendmail from it.  When I ran 'apt-get remove
sendmail' I got the following:

veggie:~# apt-get remove sendmail
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  at junkbuster lilo logrotate mailx mutt sendmail
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 7826kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

After doing a little research the reason for this is the following
dependancy chain.

lilo -> logrotate -> mailx -> mail-transport-agent (provided by sendmail)

Although in the small, each step of that dependancy chain seems to make some
sense, I would consider the overall effect bad.  It doesn't seem like a
bootloader should require active mail to run.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
sean@dague.net

There is no silver bullet.  Plus, werewolves make better neighbors than
zombies, and they tend to keep the vampire population down.