Re: testing broken[?]

I was foolish enough to continue after seeing that.
I ended up restoring from backup.

The damage to my system:
	util-linux was gone
	lilo was gone (system unbootable)
	perl5.6 not installable
	debconf broken (Config.pm complaints, among others)
	update-mime broken (Glob.pm complaints)
	30+ other packages not configured/removed

No data loss, but only because I have lots of partitions
and I occaisionally make backups.

After this I would really like to see debconf be optional.
Yeah, I know, if I want Slack I know where to find it ;-).

Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> Hmm, this morning I saw during update
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   apel auctex balsa bsdmainutils cvs cvs2cl cvsweb debconf debhelper dh-make
>   eeyes emacs20 emacs20-el emacsen-common enscript esound esound-common flim
>   gaspell gedit ghostview gmc gnapster gnofin gnome-admin gnome-apt* gnome-bin
>   gnome-card-games gnome-control-center gnome-core gnome-games gnome-gataxx
>   gnome-glines gnome-gnibbles gnome-gnobots2 gnome-gnometris gnome-gnomine
>   gnome-gnotravex gnome-gtali gnome-gturing gnome-guile gnome-help gnome-iagno
>   gnome-mahjongg gnome-media gnome-napster gnome-network gnome-panel
>   gnome-panel-data gnome-pim gnome-pm gnome-print gnome-same-gnome
>   gnome-session gnome-stones gnome-terminal gnome-utils gnome-xbill gnomehack
>   gnomeicu gnosamba gnotepad+ gnotes gnumeric gnuplot gnuserv gs-aladdin
>   gstalker gtm gtop guitar gv html-helper-mode iwidgets3.1* iwidgets3.1-dev*
>   kghostview koffice-libs konqueror libcapplet0 libesd0 libesd0-dev
>   libfreeamp-esound libglade-gnome0 libgnome-dev libgnome32 libgnomesupport0
>   libgnomeui32 libgnorba-dev libgnorba27 libgnorbagtk0 libguilegtk0 libobgnome0
>   libpaperg libwmf-bin libwmf0 libzvt2 lilo lprng lynx lynx-ssl mpage
>   mysql-server netpbm psutils pybliographer python-gnome realplayer
>   sawmill-gnome semi talkd* task-gnome-desktop task-gnome-games task-gnome-net
>   task-kde task-x-window-system-core wl-beta wmmail wv xchat-gnome
>   xserver-xfree86
>   apt-utils aria dpkg-ftp libpcre3 mtr-tiny xmms-status-plugin
> 73 packages upgraded, 6 newly installed, 120 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 80.1kB/35.1MB of archives. After unpacking 151MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> I am wonderng, why apt wants to remove all the packages, e.g.
>
> rai16:~# dpkg -s emacs20
> Package: emacs20
> Section: editors
> Installed-Size: 26554
> Maintainer: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
> Version: 20.7-3
> Provides: emacsen, info-browser, mail-reader, news-reader, www-browser
> Depends: emacsen-common (>= 1.4.10), libc6 (>= 2.1.2), liblockfile1 (>= 1.0),
> libncurses5, xlib6g (>= 3.3.6-4)
> Suggests: emacs20-el
> Conflicts: emacs20-el (<< 20.7-3), w3-el
>  GNU Emacs is the extensible self-documenting text editor.
>
> rai16:~#
>
> I can't see any reason for removing it.
>
> Rainer.
>
> --