Debian and the new breed of laptops

Dear all,

as more and more laptops, even sub-notebooks, come with on-board NICs
(e.g. Armada M300 with on-board Intel Etherexpress 10/100) how do
we/Debian reproduce the PCMCIA schemes?

This might sound like a stupid question if your system always works
with DHCP but if you have to use static IPs for any reason then it is
no longer a simple matter of "cardctl scheme" to change over - it now
requires changing the actual eth0 parameters.

It might be a Debian-users question but I think we should start
addressing the issue before 2.3 or even in the 2.2 cycle as it will
become more and more asked for.  The simple answer is "use DHCP" and
that's fine -- but what is the complicated answer to multiple static
IPs? Should we have a "scheme" concept even for eth0 and standard NICs
to support these new laptops?

Arrigo