Re: [Install Report] Potato install for DSL router + show off box

 Sorry to say, some people don't let you ping their nameservers so you
cannot take a failed ping as the final truth. A router should be a more
reliable target for a ping.
Is is possible to ask the NIC if the link is available. You, know NIC's
have that link-led, and that is a basic test if it is connected to
anything.

  So I suggest the following test cycle:
check the link-led (if possible)
  and maybe:
ping default gateway if any
connect to udp port 53 of nameserver if any
ping archive if known

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  70 511 97 84                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting