Re: bind9 in unstable

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:32:40PM -0400, Dave Barnett wrote:
After installation, the daemon tries to start, but prints out:
Starting domain name service...: bindnamed: syscall(capset) failed: Invalid argument: please ensure that the capset kernel module is loaded. see insmod(8)

There doesn't appear to be a "capset" module. I found a comment from my searching about a "capability" module, but that module does not appear to be available.

Did you compile your own kernel?  If you did, did you enable
CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES and CONFIG_SECURITY_FILE_CAPABILITIES?  If
you're using the Debian kernel, those should be built in.

capset is the system call to set capabilities (see capabilties(7) and
capset(2)).  Obviously those won't work if you don't have capabilities
enabled.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
troff on top of XML: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack