Re: Linux boot hangs

Frans Pop <elendil <at> planet.nl> writes:

> Alexander Vlasov wrote:
> > I just downloaded netinst image from
> >http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/sparc/iso-cd/
> > and tried to boot my Ultra45 (2xSltraSparc IIIi, 2G RAM, 2xSATA drives).
> > Booting hangs at the very early stage, right after initrd loading, with
> > screen full of info, but the only phrases I can understand there is
> > Cheetah error trap happens
> > Error from system bus
> > after this about 5-7lines of some dump follow.
>
> This "some dump" stuff is essential information. Please send the complete
> output on the display!

Sorry if it looks like I disregard the dump. I understand its importance, but I
can't copy it so I preferred not to confuse anyone with wrong data. I'll try to
make a photo, since I have no idea how to copy it in more correct manner.

> > and a message like "press stop-a to return to OBP". Stop-a doesn't work
> > tho'.
>
> > Stable installer doesn't work here too -- it boots fine, but keyboard
> > doesn't work after kernel boot (it does in OBP and SILO, but stops working
> > on kernel boot). Keyboard is Type7 USB.
>
> It may be that the installer is completely missing support for either USB
> keyboards for sparc, or type7 keyboards. In either case, I'm not sure that
> using a daily build of the installer is going to change anything over the
> Etch version.
>
> OTOH, USB modules should be available and the keymaps we use on sparc are
> regular AT keymaps, which work with type5 keyboards (non-USB).
> What may be missing is the usbhid kernel module.
>
> We can still fix the daily version before the release of Lenny, but will
> need more info for that. We'd first need to fix the boot issue and then the
> keyboard issue.

The strange thing is I successfully booted debian daily (or weekly) image on
this machine about one month ago -- and everything including keyboard worked.
But I didn't installed Debian because lack of time :(

For this month at least one change happened: I installed second videocard,
XVR-300; maybe OBP upgrade also took place during this month (can't figure out
when it happened).

I specifically mentioned videocard here because the last line before hang says
"radeon frameuffer d[" -- looks like incomplete line, maybe this is somehow
related to second videocard?

I tried installer with debian-installer/framebuffer=false, but seems it still
uses framebuffer.