Re: [hardware-donations] Sun Enterprise 4500 and Netra T4, USA

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:40:12AM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Is anyone interested in the following machines for Debian related
> work?  The machines are currently located in Carlsbad, CA, near Lego
> Land.
>
> > We recently freed up some old Sun hardware that we're willing to donate
> > for the cost of shipping.  Available are:
> >
> > - Sun Enterprise 4500
> > - Sun Netra T4

An E4500 is more or less a shipping nightmare. Do they have its rack mount
kit? Which CPUs are in it, and how many of them? Another person in England
recently told me about a similar possible donation, and they also have no
idea how to ship it...

A Netra T4 is a 4U server which should be pretty modern, and likely worth
having. What are the specifications for that one?

If it's sufficiently modern and beefed up, it might be worth shipping it
to a place with a fat pipe, but I've no idea if such a thing is being
practised. I could host it over here in Europe, if we decided that kind
of a trip was worth it.

In general, someone should ask an overseas shipping company for the price of
shipping of such large and heavy boxes. We're mostly speculating on how
expensive it would be, but Debian has money in the bank that's not being
used otherwise, so it might not be so expensive after all.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.