Re: Dropping sparc32 for lenny

On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 23:56 -0700, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:04:00PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 21:51 +0100, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> >
> > IMO, because of the issues already noted, I think the Debian users have
> > already dropped support for sparc32. So Debian making it official is
> > just supporting reality, and not really changing it.
> >
> > In other words, make the move. Sparc32 community is definitely not what
> > it used to be, and I'm doubting that anyone is seriously running 2.6.x
> > kernels on sparc32 boxes anyway (if mine was still running, I'd be using
> > 2.4.x for sure).
> >
> I am currently running 2.6.18-4-sparc32 on one of my sparc32s and I have
> a custom 2.6.18 also. It makes me sad but I can accept this. I have
> three sparc32s and was planning on installing debian one of the others
Unless my understand of the proposal is buggy, sparc32 will be supported
in etch, which is (I believe) lenny+1 year.  Thus you are likely to be
able to run stable for at least a couple of years before it starts to
lack security fixes.

My, 2 currency unit's worth - it would be nice to have sparc32 support
but seeing as I can't contribute any time to it I am in no position to
ask anything of those who do.  I think the current process for handling
this is more than reasonable.  Would the figures from popcop give a feel
for the number of sparc32 users and the trend over the past few years?

Cheers,
 - Martin