Network Issues w/ Ultra 10

I just installed Debian Woody on my Sun Ultra 10.  I'm having a problem
with networking though.  The connection works, but it takes a very long
time to connect (when using ssh for example), which is causing problems,
because this box is supposed to be my NFS server, and the delays make it
unpleasant.

I've tried switching cables and switching ports on my switch, but that
had no effect (the other machines don't have this delay, so I feel
pretty confident that it is not a problem with the switch).  I also
popped in another NIC to use instead of the Happy Meal, and that didn't
alleviate the problem.  Compiling a 2.4.19 kernel also doesn't seem to
help.

This leads me to believe that the problem could very well lie with
Linux.  Again, I do not have this problem with my other boxes (which
have near-identical settings), so I do not believe that my interface
definition is bad.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Brian