Re: Gnome big toe icon

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 01:18:40PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> Rob Walsh wrote:

> > > It sounds like you want the gnome control-center. Look for a package of
> > > that name. It's more like the windows-taskbar than a file-manager though.
> >
> > I think it's actually gnome-panel.
> >
> > > It might take some tweaking to get to work since you're using IceWM with
> > > it's own variant of a control-center (you may want to take a look at
> > > another wm btw, IceWM seems to be abandoned by the upstream-developers and
> > > gnome2 support is not amongst its features IIRC)
> >
> > I like sawfish (window manager) a lot, especially if you're going to
> > use the Gnome stuff -- simple, expects the Gnome tools (like the panel
> > applets) to take care of all the "conveniences".
>
> I assume you mean sawmill.

Err, no.  I meant sawfish.  I don't know whether you are deliberately
being a troll, or if you're just an ass, but for the benefit of those
who might not know, from the Sawfish FAQ:

----------------
 1. Why is it now called _Sawfish_?

Because the old name (`Sawmill') was already being used by another
company, who were in the process of registering it as a trademark.

The rename should be mostly painless, all old binaries still work for
the time being, but will be phased out over time. Where before you
would execute a program called `sawmill*', replace it by
`sawfish*'. E.g. `sawmill' becomes `sawfish', and `sawmill-client'
becomes `sawfish-client'.
----------------

> Like I said,
>
> # apt-get install sawmill-gnome
> # apt-get install task-gnome-apps

Or as someone else suggested, use dselect so you can see explicitly
what the dependencies, suggestions, and recommendations are.

Gnome is fairly heavyweight, both in terms of memory and CPU usage.
Sawfish isn't, but may be less that friendly enough without the Gnome
packages.  When I can run Gnome, I use Sawfish.  When I can't, I use
WindowMaker.

Later,
  Rob.