Netbooting with tftpd, system hangs after "booting linux"

I'm trying to install Debian on a Sparcstation IPX. I have an existing
Debian system with rarpd and tftpd running on it, and the tftpboot.img file
is in the /tftpboot directory. I have symlinked C0A80013.SUN4C to it, and
when I boot up the Sparc box and tell it to boot net, it is able to grab the
image from this host. I see a series of scrolling hexadecimal numbers,
followed by:

TILO
Selecting sun4cdm kernel
Booting Linux...

And then nothing. The system seems to hang, because I can't hit stop-a and
get back to a prompt or anything, I have to power-cycle it. I have tried
this with both the potato and woody boot images. It seems that some other
people have had similar problems, but I can't see that any of them have
found a solution yet. Is this a known issue? Input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

/owen