Re: Serial Ports don't work on Sparc 20!

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Tim Moss wrote:

> Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > 	I have a Sparc 20 running Debian/Potato quite happily with dual
> > SM71 processors (stays up for weeks on end). The only problem with the
> > system is that I am unable to get the serial ports to work, either from
> > the PROM console or from Linux. I am aware of the A/B nature of the serial
> > port on this machine, and have attempted with known good null modem serial
> > cables (i.e. they work on Sparc 5s and everything else). I have also
> > verified the motherboard jumper settings to make sure that the serial
> > ports are configured for RS232 (and NOT RS422).
>
> Could the serial port be running at some settings other than the
> defaults (9600,8,n,1,-)? What does ttya-mode and ttya-rts-dtr-off say if
> you printenv at the ok prompt (assuming of course you have a keyboard
> and monitor to hook up to the system so that you can get to the ok
> prompt) or run eeprom from within linux?

$ eeprom | grep ttya
ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
ttya-ignore-cd=true
ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-

	Good idea to check the prom environment variables, but they all
seem to be ok. :( These values match thoses of a Sparc 5, which does
have a working serial console... Thanks for the help anyway. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |