ssh between Linux Sparc and PC

I'm using a Sparc 5 with two NICs to firewall/IP masquerade for a PC and a
Mac. The PC (named dazed) is a multiboot machine with a SCSI Travan tape
drive, running (among other things) Slink with kernel version 2.2.12; the
Sparc, janus, is running Slink with kernel 2.2.9.

I'm trying to establish a procedure to back up janus to dazed's tape
drive. To do this, I need to have either rsh or ssh working both
directions between machines. I can ssh without password from janus to
dazed, but when I try to ssh from dazed to janus, after a short pause I'm
prompted for janus's password. When I look at /var/log/auth.log on janus,
I see six repetitions of the following message:

/dev/tty1: cannot open as standard input: No such device

This is repeated for tty2 - tty6.

I had some pty problems earlier that I resolved by deselecting
UNIX98-style pty support when building the kernel. My understanding is
that ssh should use pseudo pty-tty pairs, not the physical ttys. What am I
doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

--Walter Keeler

Walter Keeler                          *  If my words did glow...    *