Re: two problems (memory-eating and unimpl. system calls)

Nagy Attila <bra@malacka.eik.bme.hu> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I've got debian potato (apt upgraded from an early hamm, or slink
> distribution came out in the summer of this year)
> So the porblem is:
> Today morning i found the machine (sparcstation 5, 64 megs of RAM, 128
> megs of swap) running out of memory (swap+RAM).
> It runs 2.0.36 kernel and the most recent .debs from ftp1.us.debian.org.
> The question:
> How can i find out what process eated the whole memory?
> how can i stop this kind of problems, and finally how can i do an
> efficient watchdog for my system?
> I saw that sparc's prom contains a watchdog variable, but how is this
> works?

The watchdog variable in the prom controls whether the system
automatically reboots when it crashes.

> The second problem:
> When i upgraded glibc to the 100 snapshot the unimplemented sparc system
> calls appeared again (.33 kernel and the 85 snapshot did this too, but he
> .35 kernel stopped them...)

The 2.0.35 kernel that fixed this was patched by Debian.  You could
look in the source package for the 2.0.35 kernel for the patch (just
grab the diff file).

> What can i do?
> on vger.rutgers.edu there is only a NOT-YET .36 kernel, which produces
> this errors too :(

The patches are not in any of the 2.0.x kernels.  You have to patch
them yourself or use a 2.1.x kernel.  (I can't give more details
because I don't use 2.0.x kernels - the 2.1.x ones are faster.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu