Re[2]: request for XML resources

John Reinke <jmreinke@falcon.cc.ukans.edu> wrote:

> > > More seriously, there is not yet any XML+XSL browser which anyone
> > > reasonable find ready.

> Really? I find that hard to believe, although I've not found much yet
> either.

Believe it. Mozilla can be played with but I have not even tried to use it in
the manner you describe. I think most folks output their xml to html and view
that. We are talking documentation purposes here, and not software building
purposes, yes?

>From another angle, there's Cocoon. But it too converts to html. It does work,
but it is not intended to be a design environment.

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/

> With all the XML hype I've heard on the net and in the IT and business
> publications, I'd at least expect that SOMEONE is using it in the real
> world. Right?

I think you'll discover a disconnect between Linux/Unix tools and M$ tools.
Unix is still very SGML-centric (as far as documentation is concerned) if you
ask me. But if you look at things like _The XML Bible_, you'll see many
examples of XML use in the commercial world, most of them created with
M$-based tools. Then again XML is making great strides as a software design
tool/environment. Look at KDE or Gnome source code.

Fire up a NNTP client and start reading comp.txt.xml and comp.txt.sgml. The
former is usually more busy than the latter. But you'll find more mention of
Open Source systems and tools on the latter.

Just my $0.02 worth.

--
Bob Bernstein                  http://www.ruptured-duck.com