Re: HELP !! Can not connect as root because LDAP is broken

Once you've got it fixed make your nsswitch.conf uses "compat" for
passwd, group and shadow and root has a local password. I normally
have a local non-root login to each machine as well. You can either
configure that to have a password or use ssh keys to control access
(or both). That'll save you the trouble of having to reboot the
machine with a livecd (or go to it if it's remote). For upgrades I
also leave another root shell open that I got via the non-LDAP account
(some things behave poorly when $USER isn't valid).