Re: Unusual spam recently - hummm - postprocess

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 04:09:32PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
Quoting Michael Stone (mstone@debian.org):

There's a line between advocacy and zealotry.

Still stuck in name-calling mode?  Pity.

What name calling? There's a difference.
It's fine for a home user to implement it quickly but it's not so easy
for a lot of large organizations that currently allow people to send
mail from offsite locations.

Are there any remaining MUAs that can't support SASL?  Can't think of
any, offhand, but perhaps there are some.

You're assuming unrestricted outbound connections. Might even be true in
your environment.

The problem is even bigger when you consider that a lot of places are
blocking outbound smtp except through their own relays--which makes
the "just implement smtp auth" argument a bit harder to swallow.

http://spf.pobox.com/srs.html

Not applicable. That requires not only a change on the part of the
organization implementing SPF, but also a change at any location where a
user wants to send mail. I know, I know, the zealous answer would be
that everyone should just implement everything right now--but some of us
live in the real world.

Mike Stone